Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mid-Century Modern Furniture

I absolutely love mid-century modern furniture. I check craigslist on almost a daily basis, just to see what's out there. But over the past few years, I've already bought almost all new furniture so I don't need anything new. And it's all dark wood, where mid-century is typically a lighter color so to buy a new piece here or there would really make it mis-matched.

I do however need to buy two things: a couch and some bookshelves/cabinets for the office now that I don't have built ins.

I lucked out and found an awesome set of shelves on Overstock.com that have a mid-century feel with their shape and the spindle legs, but comes in a two-tone dark wood design that goes with my existing furniture. They're made by Sitcom Furniture who is quickly becoming my favorite furniture maker. I bought two of their office shelves from their now-discontinued Audrey furniture collection, for about $200 each.
Audrey Office Shelf by Sitcom Furniture

I also found a cool couch at Macy's from their Corona collection, but have been sitting on the fence about it. And I'm glad I did, because while I was shopping at Underground Furniture in Pacific Beach, I saw a couch in the window that I fell in love with. I had actually seen this couch online and not liked it at all. But in person, it's the perfect couch for me. Has mid-century lines, is totally comfortable, made out a of good fabric, and comes in three cool colors (brown, green, and a burnt red) and is reasonably priced.

Jordan couch by Sitcom Furniture

It'll probably take me two more months to jump off the deep end and actually BUY a couch, but at least I've found two I like and just need to suck it up and throw down the cash. It's always scary spending more than $500 at one time on a single thing!

I've been eying the Enzo bedroom set at Jerome's as well. I never expected to find something cool at Jerome's; they're very traditional. but this set has a cool shape and I was actually surprised by how much I liked the walnut and cream two-tone veneer. I don't really like the headboard, but I like the frame. If I bought a new bedroom set though, that would feel like a total splurge. I need a frame for my bed, but I have perfectly nice dressers already. But not cool like these =) Although the drawers are on the shallow side which is helping me keep my pocketbook closed. For now...

No comments:

Post a Comment